08 June 2011

The Pact of Love

 
“ I, take you, to be my (wife/husband),
to have and to hold from this day forward,
for better or for worse,
for richer, for poorer,
in sickness and in health,
to love and to cherish;
from this day forward until death do us part.”

Are you familiar with the above words? If you are married or have been married before, you will have repeated the above or similar vows on your wedding day. If you are not yet married and hope to be one day, then you will, no doubt, be repeating these or something similar.

However, what do these words actually mean?
When someone says their wedding vows to their husband/wife to-be, they are not only making a vow; they are in fact entering a ‘pact’ with that person – for life!  These are not just words you say as part of the wedding ceremony. For many however, they are just words, and only time will tell – Why?

When times are good, then all is fine. When they have money, all is well. But how about when the ‘worse’ times arrive? What happens when they can’t afford to cover the bills, debts pile up and there is a strain on the relationship (that’s why many arguments are over finances), they are quick to ‘pack it all in’... you get the idea!

They forget the ‘pact’ they once openly declared to each other in front of sometimes hundreds of people, and even before God, the reason being because they were not ready to go all the way, until death, to fulfil their part of the pact.
 
When I got married, I lost my rights as a single person. I was and still am obliged to be with my wife, putting her first before family members, friends, and even certain personal things related to me. I also have rights to demand from my wife that she also put me first before family members, friends, and her own personal things. We both entered a pact together and the words similar to the ones above were our signature ‘on the dotted line’. There is no going back, only looking forward – together with God leading our way. The moment one of us decides to break this pact we made, then it is no longer binding.

That is what marriage is about – a lifelong commitment! I did not sign a long-term prison sentence but I am committed; all of me to my wife and vice versa, knowing there will be no third parties involved, no cheating, but there is trust on both sides, an agreement, a pact between us, that whether near or far, in good and bad times, we will always be by each other’s side, faithful and committed to the end.

It’s about giving and taking – ‘I scratch your back and you scratch mine’.

Next week I will tell you some examples whose backs God scratched and vice versa when they made a pact with God, and like them, you will have your chance to enter into a pact with God or renew your pact you once made with Him on Sunday 5th June.

Get ready to sign on the dotted line – there’s no turning back!



1 comment:

  1. Yes Pastor,this is very well said. I would love to get married but before I do that there are things I need to put right first in my personal life.

    ReplyDelete